Your Orion account and Nitrogen can be integrated, allowing you to link your Orion accounts to Nitrogen client profiles and sync your custodial data to Nitrogen.
In This Article
- Setting up the Integration
- Creating a Nitrogen Client Profile from an Orion Contact
- Linking an Existing Nitrogen Client to an Orion Contact
- Creating a Nitrogen Model from an Orion Model
- Syncing Orion Portfolio Groups to Nitrogen Account Groups
- Frequently Asked Questions
Setting up the Integration
- The first time you use Orion with Nitrogen you will need to establish the integration:
- Login to Nitrogen and navigate to the Menu icon (top right of your screen) and click Settings.
- Click Integrations, then Orion.
- Click Connect and enter your Orion login information.
The integration is now established and ready to use!
Note: Data from Orion is synced weekly but will automatically sync for a given client or model if selected.
Creating a Nitrogen Client Profile From an Orion Account
From the Nitrogen dashboard, click the Add New Client button located to the right of your name and firm name. You'll now see a Orion box and an Enter Manually box. Make sure the Orion box is checked. Where it says Enter Client Name begin typing the name of a client, and Nitrogen will populate matching client names for you to choose from. Click on the client that you would like to sync and a profile will be created in Nitrogen.
Linking an Existing Nitrogen Client to an Orion Account
If your Nitrogen and Orion accounts are integrated, and you already have a client profile in Nitrogen, open the client profile and click on the Client Actions button in the top right and then Integrations
From here, you can control which Orion clients are linked to this Nitrogen client profile. If you link multiple Orion clients, Nitrogen will sync and combine all of the holdings into one active portfolio.
Creating a Nitrogen Model from an Orion Model
This integration also allows you to create a model within Nitrogen from an existing Orion model. Once the ability to search for Orion models has been enabled you'll want to accomplish the following steps to create a model:
- From the Nitrogen dashboard, click Models at the top of the screen.
- Click Add New Model to the right of the search bar.
- Click New Model, then Import. You should see an Orion logo in the search bar afterward.
- Enter a model name in the search bar.
- Click on the name of the model that you want to sync and a model will be created in Nitrogen.
Note: To enable this option, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request that "the external model search option" from my Orion Integration be enabled.
Syncing Orion Portfolio Groups to Nitrogen Account Groups
The Nitrogen and Orion Integration imports all of your Portfolio Groups from Orion directly into Nitrogen as Account Groups. Any Account Group that is brought in from Orion is “read-only” and cannot be edited in Nitrogen. This means you cannot add, edit, or remove accounts of holdings.
You can dive deeper into the settings for these Account Groups by selecting Portfolio Settings.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do I get a message that "this contact is already linked"?
Due to the fact that Nitrogen pushes a client's Risk Number and active portfolio Risk Number to Orion, an Orion contact can only be linked to one Nitrogen client profile.
There are a few reasons you might see this message:
- The contact might be linked to another client profile in your account.
- The contact might be linked to a Nitrogen client profile in another advisor's account. If you use Nitrogen Data Sharing, you can share linked clients with other advisors within your Team. Otherwise, only one advisor will be able to have that contact linked to a Nitrogen client profile.
What if I have two Nitrogen client profiles and two Orion Accounts, and I want them all together?
Choose which Nitrogen client profile you'd like to keep (preferably the profile with a client verified Risk Number). Delete the other one. Then, open the remaining client profile, click Client Actions in the top right and then Integrations. Search the client as you would in the above section on "Linking an Existing Nitrogen Client". The holdings for both contacts will then resync into the active portfolio in Nitrogen.
What if my account connection has issues?
You can re-sync your account connection by going back to Settings > Integrations and clicking the Reconnect button. This will trigger the Orion login flow and have you log in again through the Orion popup window.
Why can’t I edit Orion accounts or their account groups?
Orion accounts are read-only and should be edited in the Orion platform. You can add Orion accounts to Account Groups created in Nitrogen but you cannot edit already existing connections that come from Orion.