Don’t have Retirement Plans? Call 530-748-1660.
In This Article
Creating a Plan
Creating a plan is simple and only takes a few minutes to complete the setup and activation process. To create a new retirement plan:
1️⃣ Navigate to Clients and Retirement Plans section at the top of your home screen in Nitrogen:
2️⃣ Click the Add New Plan+ button
3️⃣ Enter a name for your plan, then click +ADD NEW PLAN to confirm:
Note: Once you’ve created a plan, check out the Activation Checklist in the top right-hand corner
This Checklist will walk you through the creation of your plan.
Your next step will add Participants. Participants can be added one at a time or in bulk by importing a formatted spreadsheet:
1. Bulk Import: Use this option to add participants in bulk from an Excel spreadsheet (XLS, XLSX, or CSV). Use the Import Template available at the bottom of the page as a starting point, add your plan participants' names and emails, then drag-and-drop the file into Retirement Plans to complete the import.
2. Manually: if your plan has just a few participants, you can enter them manually by typing their names and clicking + ADD PARTICIPANT.
Important: Make sure that each participant has a valid email address. If not, they will not be able to receive an invite to the participant on-boarding process. You can add an email address by clicking on the participant's name, then enter their email in the Enter email address box.
➡️ After you've added your plan's participants, you'll need to add at least one model. These models will be available for your participants to choose from during the participation-boarding process. Click the Models tab and choose CREATE NEW or ADD EXISTING.
NOTE: Be sure to give your model a name that designates it as an APRP model to differentiate it from the original model portfolio in the model portfolios folder.
➡️ When choosing CREATE NEW, You can now choose whether to enter holdings manually, copy from an existing model in your Nitrogen account, or import from an Excel spreadsheet.
➡️ Clicking ADD EXISTING will allow you to import a model from your existing Nitrogen models.
(To learn more about these options, check out Best Practices for Models in Retirement Plans)
Nitrogen offers a range of portfolio analytics within our feature set, designed to give you insight into potential risks and returns as you engineer a portfolio. To learn more, check out Working with Portfolios in Nitrogen.
- Finally, click the Settings tab to finish configuring the plan. Settings allow you to configure three very important features and help pave the way for DOL concerns:
Link to set elections: Participants can use the model they select during their experience in the election setting process. The ‘Link to set elections’ field will seamlessly redirect a participant to their third-party portal at the end of the Retirement Plans on-boarding process.
Account opening link: If any of your participants are enrolling for the first time, the ‘Link to enroll’ field is a perfect place to paste a link to their third-party online account opening log in page.
Plan email notifications: Choose who to notify when participants complete the participant on-boarding process by entering email addresses in the ‘Enter more emails…’ box.
- To complete your Settings page, click the Save Election Settings at the bottom of the page. Next, you'll be ready to invite your participants!
- Link to set elections: Participants can use the model they select during their experience in the election setting process. The ‘Link to set elections’ field will seamlessly redirect a participant to their third-party portal at the end of the Retirement Plans on-boarding process.
Once you've completed the steps above, click the Three Dot Action Menu > Invite All Participants (in the upper right) to send an invitation to all of the plan participants:
Prefer to send the invites manually? Can do!
To send invitations on a per participant basis, scroll to each respective participant, click the menu button to the right, then SEND INVITATION.
That's it! Each plan participant will receive an email to begin the participant on-boarding process.