When you click "Process Approved" from the Trading Dashboard, Trading generates an executable file for you to upload into TD VEO. Before executing your first set of trades, re-familiarize yourself with block trading by reading our article What is Block Trading?
Not all VEO users have block trading permission by default. If you do not have a Block Account Number, please contact TD for access before following the instructions below.
Uploading Trades to VEO
Trading typically creates two trade files: "Blocks" and "Allocations". The Blocks file contains mutual fund trades, single orders, and block orders. The Allocations file contains secondary information for the blocks, whenever you are placing trades for the same securities in multiple accounts. If you are trading only mutual funds, or are entering orders for accounts that don’t share any buy/sell orders by ticker, only the Blocks file is required.
Follow these instructions to upload and send the trades generated by Trading:
- Log in to VEO and click "Trading" to open the trade order management system
- Click “Upload Orders” found in the middle of the screen
- Select the "Blocks" file to import
- ETF and Stock orders will be uploaded to the "Equities" tab. Mutual Fund orders will be uploaded to the "Mutual Funds" tab.
- Review the imported orders
- Send all Sell orders on the Mutual Funds tab, then send all Sells on the Equities tab
- Now, send all Buy orders on the Mutual Funds tab, then send all Buys on the Equities tab
TD Ameritrade's order system will display any applicable trade warnings, such as redemption fees, as you submit your orders. You can either ignore these warnings and chose to process your trades, or contact TD for further clarity on any impacts these warnings may have on your client accounts.
**Important - If you do not submit orders in both the Mutual Funds and Equities tabs, your client accounts will likely have insufficient funds to cover all buy orders. This will result in a Reg-T strike, or a 90 day trading restriction.
If Trading only generated one trade file: You're all done!
If you also have an Allocations file, you must submit your allocation orders after your block orders are sent, and before the market closes. Follow the instructions below to send Allocations.
Uploading Allocations to VEO
Allocation orders must be sent after the block orders, and before the market closes. Mutual funds do not get blocked, so you may ignore them for these following steps.
Follow these instructions to upload and submit Allocations:
- Navigate to Tools > Resources > File Upload > Allocations
- Select the "Allocations" file to import
- Review the imported allocations
- Send all Sell allocations
- Now, send all Buy allocations
Hooray- you're all done!
Waiting for Settlement
Now that your trades have been submitted, simply wait for them to settle. VEO may display the new positions as soon as the following day. However it typically takes T+2 for TD Ameritrade to send the new positions to Nitrogen. You do not have to take any action to see updated positions in your Nitrogen account. Nitrogen automatically updates account positions as soon as they are received from TD Ameritrade.